Sunday, April 20, 2008

Edinburgh: The End

Monday morning I set off bright and early to go see the Castle. I was a little dissapointed. It is still used by the army as an administrative base, so there are a lot of buildings that you can't go in. It is a pretty cool building though, and would be great with little kids since there are some pretty cool cannons.


At the entrance to the castle is a woolen mill, which has it's own looms in the basement and weaves it's own tartans. I bought a hat with the Princess Diana Memorial Tartan. It is way prettier than all the other tartans!


I went down to the bottom of the Royal Mile, to see Holyrood Palace. Arthur's Seat is an amazing hill, overlooking the city. It looks like it would be a good hike as well, though I only took photo's of it.




Holyrood Palace claims to be the Edinburgh residence of the royal family, though everyone knows that if they go to Scotland, they would much rather stay at Balmoral.


The palace and it's grounds are beautiful, though they don't allow photographs inside, so I could only take pictures of the outside. Inside you can see the private rooms of Mary Queen of Scots. There is even a plaque on the wall marking the place where her private secretary, Rizzo, was murdered by her husband.



One of the things I liked best was the ruined Chapel. A few centuries ago the roof fell in, and for some reason or another, it was never fixed. The inside is more like a graveyard, with tombstones for the floor.



This is a far happier self portrait, taken in the reflection of a window on my way down to the train station. I bought the tam at the woolen mill.



Then I had to get on the train and go back to school, which made me really sad. I had a good adventure though!

No comments: